Friday, March 7, 2008

Nights and days

I knew there was a reason I hadn't been able to sleep for the past two weeks prior to my trip. I'd joked about resetting my internal clock on my own, to circumvent the jet lag, and what do you know, I really did get into my own sort of shifted "circadian rhythm."

A circadian rhythm is a roughly-24-hour cycle in the physiological
processes of living beings. this includes plants animal sna fungi as well.
The term
"circadian" was appointed to a shift in waking-hour patterns by Franz Halbergbut
comes from the Latin circa, or "around" and diem, which means "dies" or "diem." This literally then, means about a day.
diem or dies, "day", meaning literally "about a day." The formal study of t
his condition (chronobiology) is mostly caused by shifts in daylight patterns, and is what seems to cause jet lag.
After pulling an all-nighter, sleeping as soon as I got on the plane in Chicago and then napping at the appropriate times on my flights, I managed to wake up and go to sleep at all the right times en route. A quick nap while waiting for Kyle's flight killed the time and headache I was working on. Jet lag nothin'! I'm on track with the time change already, up at 6 am while he's still sleeping the morning's brief coolness away.

No comments: