Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Stuck

It is so real that I see the fine layer of road grime on the parched ditch grass as I run up through it. I hear each step of my foot hit the ground, hard. But I don't feel it, don't feel the grass scraping against me or the jarring of the steps. I hear my breath coming in quick whooshing gulps, but don't feel breathless or choked when I wake.

I'm running from my old boss, except now, in the dream he is my boss, me and only me and two others are left and I think he's about the kill the old man. He's gone crazy and we've already been to court to resolve some issues, but for some reason the three of us were in the field behind the farm this morning, and he saw us, dropped what he was doing and came running after us.
My friend Kelly, from high school, takes off with me, but the old man knows he's not going to be able to run far. I want to be as far away as I can from him before E catches up to him so I don't have to hear anything. Kelly and I ran cross country together, but I don't think either of us will be quick enough to get away so that we can just maintain distance.

We went to court because he had unleashed upon a couple of co-workers, and thinking I'd be spared the fury, I setepped in to help and also got pummeled--pulled down and trampled and kicked in the kitchen, stuck against a low cupboard with no escape. That's how working for him (in the dream) felt, like we had no escape.

I don't know what our jobs were or where we were, but it looked like the land was my parent's farm, the one I grew up on. The interior of the house was not my childhood home, but I can't place it as any place. I can't even remember the other people in the dream, but it wasn't anyone I used to work with when I did work for this guy in real life. He looked pretty much the same, even wearing the blue and black poncho he's so fond of. But his temper, toward me, at any rate, was never this extreme in real life, and when I start running, when I finally get off of the windrowed field dirt and onto more solid, gravelly ground, I start to wake up. This is why I'm aware of my sensory overload and yet not really alowing myself to feel it. I think I make myself wake up, because this is terrible. I don't want to think of him on some crazy rampage. I want to call him or text or email or something to make sure he's ok, see what he's up to.
But I don't.
We're not connected anymore in that way we once were, so for now, this was just a bad dream. But I don't like feeling unsettled and shaky and... so affected when I wake up from something, so it's probably going to stick with me until I do something about it. Or get out of whatever trapping situation I'm really stuck in?

No comments: