Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Wreally?

It's called "wrock."
As in, Wizard rock. As in, Harry Potter.
Wright.
I'd read about Diagon Alley online last week, and after clicking on over to the myspace home for the burgeoning young lads, I decided I just had to go have me a lissen. I mean, c'mon. With young Potter's most recent tales flying snitch circles around my head after my Thailand trip (during which I lugged the ten pound book around in my heavy pack), I just had to go and hear songs like "These days," a melodic heart-string tugger on strings (piano riffs open), about the loss of Fred Weasly. Or works like "Butterbeers and OWLS," with the chompy snark of bass riffs and slightly off-kilter vocals providing me with a head-bobbing buzz and smile.
Always up for all things Harry (not Hairy, that's Hagrid, silly), I roped my friend Brenda into going with me.
We treked through the rain and snow down to Chicago's southside, where the trio was scheduled to play Reggie's smallish stage around 9 pm.
Well, I wish I could tell you that they sounded as good live as they did on that muggle-born roadway of the information superhighway. But we didn't see them. Or hear them, for that matter. There was one nattily dressed musician a few feet away from us at one point, sporting a Ravenclaw-colored tie, but that was about it. By the time the night ended and we trudged back north through the rain, it was apparent that we had somehow missed their set.
I was a bit disheartened when we figured it out, but don't Worry, dear reader, for Wrock bands exist on five continents, and this August, a day-long celebration of the six-year spirit of Potter set to music will be held here.
Until then, if you simply must know more, you can check them out HERE

No comments: