Sunday, June 15, 2008

Grad School

I'm getting closer and closer to making some real decisions about my life. Whoa.
Last week, I made the commitment to beginning the grad school process in earnest. I've been looking, been thinking about it, but other than attending and info session and requesting a couple of info packets, I hadn't committed to anything. Not even the idea.

Last week I told myself that I would start grad school in January, if not sooner. I forget that as a student, I may not be able to handle 18 credit hours, a newspaper job, a retail job, an editor position and a fabulous social life, as I once did. Could I handle the demands of an MS OT in training, or the weight of writer's block and 60+ page weekly assignments? Which course of study was I even meant to begin?
Well, between OT and the English MA, OT won the battle, a sweet, momentary victory. Crafty, that OT. It got me psyched up enough to commit to grad school, then pulled the rug out from under me, by the numbers. After tears and real talks with my dad, I've bucked up... life throws me those curve balls (how is it that I did fine in college physics but couldn't pass high school algebra?), and after my time in Thailand, I've learned to just let go of desires and outcomes. If I can't do the OT program, then I'll pursue the M.A. If that's what's meant to be, then my mind has been made up for me. And really, I HAD asked the universe to help me out with that.

Amazing, the way life feels once a path is parted and deemed accessible. I don't know what will happen, for sure, with either of these programs, but I do know now that I'm more excited about grad school than I have been about anything else recently. And that says a lot.

No comments: