Thursday, June 12, 2008

It's all in the name

I think that my biggest remaining quarterlife crisis is sticking to a look and a name for this blog.
I wanted to get away from MySpace when I first created this blog, but the hardest part about that is getting my friends to visit this site instead of MySpace. I'd like to think I want to write for me, and not them, but without an audience, it's harder to stick with this on a daily or at least weekly basis (see, even if blogging is self-serving, I'm still looking out for the reader!). I was taught to think about my audience and what tone my writing should take to engage them, and that lesson stuck, evidently.
I wanted to call my blog the "Quarterlife Crisis" at first, because I figured all of the stuff I posted would be unique to my place as a twenty-five year old. But I didn't quite feel like I was in the midst of a "crisis," because the age and expectations I had for myself at 25 felt like more of a chaotic upheaval with all sorts of wonder and possibility. So I went with "Commentary" and not "Crisis."

"The View from Mars" was the name of my column in college, so I thought,
"oh, it worked great back then." But I'm certainly not standing in the same place, or viewing the world with the same eyes as I did from 18-21. So "The View from Mars" doesn't quite feel right either.
I thought about just writing "Oh, Whatever" in the blog name category, but that doesn't seem fair to my blog. I had ambitions that this space would be more serious, more lyrical, more literary, than my MySpace place, and I guess it is. It's more serious, at any rate, if no better in terms of quality than MySpace. I thought 25 would be about growing up a little, and I think I've figured out how to balance that with my own reality instead of societal expectations, but I'd like to stick to a title for this damn thing.

No comments: