Sunday, July 20, 2008

Apricot Jalapeno baked Brie

I am still in food coma from the delicious dinner party recently attended, like, an hour ago, at my friend Mary's place, in honor of my departure to California. See, we hogged out on cheese and crackers, fruits and wine, and the best part of all was the tasty announcement that I am staying in the city and thus available for more dinner parties. Woohoo!!
Last time I hung out with Miss Mair we concluded our bar evening with a cheese spread, crackers, fruit and water. The idea of having a dinner party consisting entirely of "schmeary" stuff was born.
My contribution to tonight's event was an Apricot and Jalapeno baked brie, served with apples and animal crackers.
Originally, I wanted to do a Chokecherry Ancho chili cheese spread with crackers or tortillas, but it didn't come together for me the way I wanted to this afternoon. Necessity is the mother of invention, and since I had the jalapenos, I whipped up this ooeygooey dish instead.
Here's what you need:

1/4 c. jalapenos, cored seeded and diced
1/2 c. stewed apricots
1/4 c. pecans, coarsely chopped

Mix up wet ingredients in a food processor, and you've got your spread.
At first, I thought this might stand alone quite well, paired with the animal crackers, as a dessert "schmear." It tasted good, but then I decided that since cheese makes everything better, I'd add brie.

Get one 8 oz. round of brie, and one can of crescent rolls (or use puff pastry), and spread this dough out on a piece of oiled tinfoil, making a shape as close to a circle as you can get. I used generic crescent roll dough, so it was a little thin, but held up in the oven just fine.

Cut your brie in half, then, rind side down, put it on the tinfoil. Poke holes in it and spread a layer of the jalapeno mixture over this, letting it sink in. Add more goo if necessary. Once you've added enough, spread a layer of pecans on the goo. Put the other piece of brie on it, rind side up, then poke holes in that too. Spread jalapeno goo one more time, add a few more pecans, cover the cheese up with the dough, crimping any edges to prevent jalapeno spread from oozing out. If you used too much jalapeno spread, it will "melt" out the sides of the dough, but shouldn't be too much of a problem.

To seal the dough, whisk one egg until frothy, then baste dough. Sprinkle remaining pecans on top, and pop the thing into an oven set at 450'. Ten minutes gives you a nice golden crust.

Core and cut a large Granny Smith apple (or two), dig out the animal crackers, and dig in.

I had a room mate who once did something like this with brown sugar and butter instead of the apricot and jalapeno, but I must say, the spicy kick and the fruity sweetness are such a great combination.

No comments: